DIG INTO THE PAST
TRACE YOUR FAMILY HISTORY
Turn off the Princes Highway onto Kalander St at the traffic lights at the Archer Resort, (Kalander St becomes Greenwell Point
Rd). This turn is indicated by the signs to Greenwell Point and Currarong. Proceed on Greenwell Point Road towards Greenwell
Point for approximately 9 Klms till you come to the intersection with the road to Culburra Beach. Proceed just past this intersection
in Greenwell Point Rd you will see on the right, the Pyree Literary Institute, then the rooms used by the Potters followed by our
Research Centre in the Old School.
The Centre is open the 1st & 2nd Thursday of the month and every Sunday, both days
10am to 4pm except the winter months. During the months of June, July & August the
library will close at 3pm if no one is researching. We are normally closed on the Sunday of
Public Holiday weekends.
The Centre is in the historic old Pyree School building on Greenwell Point Rd Pyree.
The numerous facilities are available free to members and non members may use the
research facilities at a cost of $10 per session with the assistance of the volunteers on
We also offer a research sevice for those who cannot get to our
For more information click here:
OUR RESOURCES AND HOLDINGS:
We have well over 3500 items in Printed Material, Fiche, CD-ROM and Microfilm forms.
Our collection includes:
• Shoalhaven, we have a very extensive collection of information for the whole of the Shoalhaven Area.
• Birth, Death and Marriage indexes for all States.
• Pioneer Registers and Local Histories from many areas.
• Convict Records.
• Koori records for local families.
• NSW Wills for the period 1800 -1901 on microfilm and the microfche indexes
used to search these films.
• Electoral Rolls and Directories.
• Government Gazettes for NSW.
• Reference and source books.
• Journals from other family history societies in Australia and overseas.
• Many Cemetery and burial records from all States.
• Military Records
• Genealogical research directories.
• Colonial Shipping records in Book, Fiche and Microfilm form.
• International Genealogical Index.
• Internet Access including membership of Ancestry.com and Find My Past UK.
• We also have an extensive collection of British records and some for other countries (see List of Holdings
for areas covered).
To view and search our complete Holdings List click here;
HOW TO FIND US:
Note that this is a large file and may take
some time to download.
RESEARCH & LIBRARY FEES:
The Society is now offering a One on One Research Tutoring Service, the cost is $20 per 2 hour session with one of our members.
Please contact our Secretary to arrange times.
Research is undertaken on request, minimum 2 hours, $10 per hour.
• Photocopying A4 .20c
• Photocopying A3 .40c
• Microfilm copies from Nowra Library $1.10
• Microfilm / Fiche Copies A4 from SFHS $1.00
• Computer Printout per page $1.00
• Pre 1856 BDM record SFHS member $5.00
• Birth Records SFHS member $5.00
• Death Records SFHS member $5.00
• Pre 1856 BDM record non member $7.00
• Birth Record non member $7.00
• Death Record non member $7.00
• SFHS Family Group Sheet Blank .20c
• Photographs sent via email $5.00
• Photographs 6x4 printed $5.00 + Postage
• SFHS Family Group Sheet with Information $1.00
• Ancestry.com access now free, Print outs charged as above
Email regarding this website to
Copyright © 2014
Last Updated 31st October 2017
Please Note: We have a strict policy of not allowing the use of personally owned Flash Drives in our computers. This is to ensure
that we maintain the safety of our computer system.